Wood duck breeding

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Littleducky, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Littleducky

Littleducky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    La Center, Wa
    When should I set up the breeder boxes in the pen with my wood ducks? I have 5 females and 2 males I don't think that they will all lay how many boxes should I put? I am sure getting excited!!!

2. giffy

giffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    I have had Wood hens setting by the later part of March so you will want to put together your boxes pretty soon. Not knowing the size pen you have, you will want to discourage hens from nest dumping by providing at least one box per hen. Once a hen starts setting you can bet the drakes will begin showing interest in some of the other Wood ducks. (hens)

Remember to provide a ramp if your birds are pinioned.

I have quite alot of info on them and photos and video from inside a Wood nest box found here: GiffsFarm - Wood ducks

giffy
    --------------------

3. Littleducky

Littleducky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    La Center, Wa
    Thanks I am going to get some boxes in this weekend. Do you collect the eggs or let them all hatch on thier own. I would like to incubate a part of them but I dont want to disturb them to much when they start laying, how should I go about that?

4. giffy

giffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Your best success will come from letting the hen do all the work, they are excellent mothers.

Problem with incubating Wood duck eggs is that once hatched it is tough to get them to eat. I have hatched (incubator) domestic bantam ducks with Wood ducks so they would have some "teachers" but your best bet is the mother who is perfect at it.

giffy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by