Wood duck egg wiggling in water - how soon should it hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sevenbabychicks, Jun 17, 2017.

1. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hey guys - I've got a bit of a problem...

I found what I think is a wood duck egg in the water while visiting a nearby lake. So I picked it up, took it home, and put it under my pigeon because I was curious if she could/would cover it.

Well, she did. And she sat on it for at least three weeks.

The thing is, I didn't expect it to even be viable since it was underwater for who knows how long. And so when she lost interest in it, I was just going to throw it out. But juuuust on the tiny off chance that the improbable was happening and the egg was developing, I put it in some water for a float test...

And it wiggled! Yup. It wiggled. So I ran out to fleet farm and bought an incubator.

My main problem right now is that I have no idea when it should hatch (since I didn't think it was viable after being underwater, I didn't jot down when my pigeon started incubating it). And I'm a little worried I overstressed it by doing a float test on it too early. And I don't know if I should keep turning it in the incubator or let it lie still in prep for hatching.

Any advice or insights? I've looked around the forum, but all the float test stories I've found are for overdue eggs.

Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would candle it, you should be able to see movement and get an estimate on how close to hatching it is.

3. Why Did The Chicken Cross

Why Did The Chicken Cross Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    North Carolina
    If it was wiggling I think it is ok. I would take a really bright flashlight in a dark room and candle it like oldhen said.

I probably would stop turning it. I've read on here some arguments for not turning anyway.

Let us know how it turns out. That would be so awesome if you get a wood duck duckling!

4. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Thanks, guys! I tried candling it, but the membrane is so thick that I can't really see anything. I think this means it's close to hatching! I've put it in lockdown and won't be moving it; am crossing my fingers and hoping it didn't get too stressed by the transition from pigeon to incubator.

I'll update this thread with any developments :)

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

How neat.... :fl.....
    First you will see a pip on the egg...Make sure the air cell is facing upwards if its laying on its side ?.....It can take almost 2 days from pip to zip....:pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by