1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wood duck houses

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Ole and Lena, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    http://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/resources/2010/05/4645_2409.pdf

It's that time of year. Cabin fever got you down? Build some of the above linked wood duck houses and take a nice walk in a frozen marsh. Help out some of your good wildlife.

I've used these particular plans. The woodies like them and they use less wood than others I've tried. I build mine from pine as cedar is super expensive locally and give them a good heavy coat of linseed oil, especially at the wood-to wood joints. I've got one up built from pine 10 years ago that has raised a clutch every year and shows no signs of serious rot. Use spiral fluted cedar siding nails, they hold a long time.

2. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    The township I live in has a wildlife trail through a marsh and woodland area, and I just talked to the twp supervisor about putting out some nest boxes, he seemed quite interested in the idea. Thanks for the link

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Cool! I will have to try this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by