Wood Duck houses?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmdude, Mar 30, 2012.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I just got 2 wood duck houses to put around my pond. They did not come with any instructions.
    I am wondering;
    1.) How far off the ground I should hang them?
    2.) Which direction should the opening face, N,S,E, or W?
    3.) Does it need to be directly above water?
    4.) should I put wood shavings or straw on the bottom of them?
    If anyone has any experiance & advice in this matter, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Got this from googling;
    Wood Duck
    forested wetlands or near marshes, swamps, and beaver ponds; place boxes in deciduous trees, 30-100 feet from the nearest water, spaced 600 feet apart. add 3" of wood shavings
    box height: 6-30 feet

3. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    House Placement

Like other duck species, wood ducks require direct access to open water (within one-half mile). Therefore, your wood duck house should be placed on the shoreline of a slower, nonflowing body of water.
    When installing the house, place it on a pole no less than 3 feet — but no more than 20 feet — above the ordinary high-water mark.
    Wood Ducks' Competitors

Depending on the location of your wood duck house, you may need to install squirrel or raccoon protection. Starlings may also be attracted to the house as a nesting site.
    Cleaning

Your wood duck house should be clean and ready for the birds by March 1 of each year and should be checked every 7 to 10 days from late March until mid-July. If the house becomes a nesting spot for starlings, the nesting materials and eggs should be removed immediately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by