Wood duck nest box photos & video

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by giffy, Jan 22, 2010.

1. giffy

giffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    This is the time of year when Wood ducks and Mandarins are pairing up and checking out nest boxes. For those of you raising them, I have taken alot of photos and videos from inside the nestbox. Some of the info might help out those of you just starting out with them.

http://www.giffsfarm.com/nestbox22008.html

giffy
    --------------------

[​IMG]

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Excellent website, giffy. Beautiful pictures and good information. [​IMG]

3. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Quote:Giffy, did you happen to notice my post over here?

4. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I've seen your site many times...but I never asked, how did you get the photos of the ducklings jumping out? Where you there for the moment, or is it like a trail camera?

5. giffy

Nov 2, 2008
    Quote:Scott, I did...........really like the White Mandarins. I am limited on getting to view large photos or video at home, I live in the sticks with only dialup and it is super slow. When folks post large photo files or video I usually have to wait till I am at another computer.

giffy
    ----------------------

6. giffy

Nov 2, 2008
    Quote:1lpoock, I had been trying to capture this (photos) for years. I was recording them (nest cam) getting ready to exit...........when I saw the first one climb out on the monitor I raced out and took the photos (Canon Rebel) from the corner of my garage through the wire. I was about 40 feet away. I have used a trail cam for some photos/video from outside the box but did not have it set up for the jump. You wait all year to see them jump and the whole process lasts a few minutes, if she (duck) feels disturbed/insecure at all she won't call them out.

giffy
    -------------------

7. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Quote:Scott, I did...........really like the White Mandarins. I am limited on getting to view large photos or video at home, I live in the sticks with only dialup and it is super slow. When folks post large photo files or video I usually have to wait till I am at another computer.

giffy
    ----------------------

Not the video per say, but the question on nest boxes (my last post on that thread).

8. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Giffy, I [​IMG] your site!!! Makes me want to downsize my flock, Build an aviary, and stick to one breed! ( SO that the grass doesnt disappear so quickly ) [​IMG]

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Giffy, I think that is the greatest pic ever. Congrats on getting it. [​IMG]

10. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

giffy
    ----------------------

Not the video per say, but the question on nest boxes (my last post on that thread).

Opening a thread with large pictures or a lot of pictures makes a slow connection take forever to load up. Maybe you could repost the question in this thread. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by