Wood Duck or Mallard??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rainstorm, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    My bro was *once again* mowing the fields at his work when a little baby duck ran under the tractor, he couldnt stop in time, but he got out and looked and there was no duck, he searched about 10 feet around the tractor and found this little one cuddled up alone with no others close by, I thought she was a mallard first seeing her but when I put her in with my other mallards that are the same size as her I noticed shes off colored?? her face is a more pale white color then the mallards golden brown, and her "black" is a dark brown and the mallards are black? I looked up wood ducks and to "me" she resembles a wood duckling, but im no wood duck expert either, Anyone know what she is?
    PS. another reason I find it odd for her to be a mallard is because she is so TAME! first bringing her home I could just sit her in my lap or hand and she'll just sit there and let me hold her, ALL my other mallards, Hatched in a incubator and came from a hatchery, their all wild even though I keep contact with them..? Mallard with a confused temperment or what? *confused*

Either way she is gorgeous! I love this little girl [​IMG] or atleast im guessing its a girl I cant specifically tell *yet*

and the funny thing: Last night my bro said he was gonna stop bringing home ducks and eggs cuz of how many we have now, id say that lasted about as long as I thought it would LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    idk, if he is ether one, it sure is a neat find

3. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I have NO Idea, but she is cute! good luck with her, and I am betting your brother is just bluffing! [​IMG]

4. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    I don't know much about chickens, but as a hunter I would bet the farm its a mallard [​IMG]

5. TB

TB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    It looks like a mallard, but may be a mix breed.

6. Jeep Hound

Jeep Hound Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    South Dakota
    may be a shoveler, bill looks a bit wide for a mallard

7. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Could it be a canvasback or a teal?

8. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Thought wood ducks had bright orange legs?

9. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    looks like a mallard cause of the very few feathers that are coming in just about the wing!! very cute good luck

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Mallards will have yellow beaks & legs, it is a diver from the looks of the beak, shoveler, Canvasback, maybe even a redhead. Teal is out as the beak is too big, wait for a few more weeks, it looks like the wing feathers may start to give you a clue soon.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by