wood duck or mandarin duck experts please look...with pics!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlittle32, Sep 3, 2009.

1. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Well, recently, we met an old man that told us he had mandarins and wood ducklings for sale. DH and I went to his house, caught them...sat and talked with him for a while. When we were about to leave, he says, if I ended up giving you a wood and a mandarin, please let me know...so since them, I have been worried that we don't have a pair. What do you think?

What we were told was a female...

[​IMG]

what we were told was male...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I need to get more pics, please let me know.

2. ChickensInTheNorthWoods

ChickensInTheNorthWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North East CT
    Looks like a pair of wood ducks to me.

3. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
  4. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Oh I am so relieved...Either breed are beautiful...I just wanted to make sure we had a pair. Thanks for all the help!

5. cawooduck

cawooduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Livermore, CA
    Thats a definite pair!! Welcome to the wild ducks, have fun!!

6. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Thank you cawooduck!!!! I have a few questions. Right now we have them in a pen that is off ground...so they can get used to our area...somewhat...They are pinioned...but we are scared that they will still try to escape. When would be the best time to let them with the rest of the flock?

7. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    We built there nest box and let them go with the rest of the flock. The drake is walking around with the mallards...etc...now the female wants to stay hidden...is that normal?

8. cawooduck

cawooduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Livermore, CA
    Quote:The drake probably felt more comfortable and adjusted quicker than the hen, she will come around eventually, unless she is getting picked on by the other ducks which will keep her segregated from the flock. Give her time!!

As for escaping, just make sure there are no holes in the enclosure bigger than 2" and you should be fine! Or any structure they can climb up such as wood, landscaping and such, remember, wood ducks have claws and can climb with their feet!! And they are good at it!!

Take care!!.........Jason

9. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    We have the run enclosed with chainlink fence. Then we also went and put chicken wire around the whole thing as well. LOL We don't want to lose these guys. I am in love with them already. Last night, we sat outside and just watched the drake swim in the pond. I will get better pics of them soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by