Wood duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyduck, May 13, 2011.

1. duckyduck

duckyduck Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Ok, so I have this single wood duckling that i hatched out. We cut down a tree and without knowing, there were about 12 eggs in it. Only one egg wasn't broken and that's the one that i saved.

Now, he is doing great, he's eating, pooping, swimming, doing everything good. The only thing is that he is lonely. I would like to hang out with him outside and hope the mother will hear him. She wasn't there when he hatched so would she still know his peep or not?? She has been coming around apparently.

If you guys don't think that will work, would it make sense to adopt a mallard duckling that is one day older from a local? Just so it can have a companion? Would the mallard and my wood duck make a good pair?

Thanks in advance!

2. the duck whisperer

the duck whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Ohio
    hello ducky,

If you seriously dont want the duckling, try giving it back to its mom, though, it probably wont work, because he hasnt had the time to "imprint" on her and she wont recognize him and dismiss him as yours or another she-duck's.
    But if you want to keep it, then sure buy him a friend! If the mallard duckling is only 1 day older it wont hurt the wood duckling.
    Theres no reason the two wont make good friends. Good luck [​IMG]

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't think the mother would accept him anymore. She's probably already forgotten about that nest and is probably working on another. She might even attack him.

Sure, you can get a mallard duckling as a companion. Sometimes they even interbreed.

4. duckyduck

duckyduck Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Thanks guys. And one last question, will the mallard duckling be peeping and extremely sad once it is taken from its mother? I don't want to take it and for it to just be miserable, even with a companion.. will it get over it with time?

5. the duck whisperer

the duck whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Ohio
    If you buy from a local store or breeder, they are usually incubated meaning they have never even seen momma. So no, the mallard baby will not be upset. But if the momma hatched them herself that may be different, but it'll get over it, and be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by