Wood Duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by seaneduck, Aug 8, 2011.

1. seaneduck

seaneduck In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    I could have sworn that when looking in on my female wood duck, when she was quacking, her bottom bill looked like it was split. It had a definite ^ shape, like it had the start of a split right down the middle. It could only be seen for the split second she had her mouth open to quack. She is so skittish I couldn't get close, and the darn thing hasn't quacked again while I've been watching, for me to get a second look.

Is this normal? There's no way i could get a picture since my camera takes such a long time to snap a picture after I push the button.

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Songster

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Best thing to do might be to catch her in the cool of the day and take a look.

3. seaneduck

seaneduck In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    Ok, I caught her and had my son hold her while I tried to take a picture. SOrry it's blurry, but the best I could get with my stupid camera. You can see the definite ^ shape in her lower bill. The dark in the ^ shape is her upper bill. Her tongue isn't hanging out, and it looks like this is an old injury/deformity. She eats and drinks fine. I just hope it doesn't get worse.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by