Wood Duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by seaneduck, Aug 8, 2011.

1. seaneduck

seaneduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    I could have sworn that when looking in on my female wood duck, when she was quacking, her bottom bill looked like it was split. It had a definite ^ shape, like it had the start of a split right down the middle. It could only be seen for the split second she had her mouth open to quack. She is so skittish I couldn't get close, and the darn thing hasn't quacked again while I've been watching, for me to get a second look.

Is this normal? There's no way i could get a picture since my camera takes such a long time to snap a picture after I push the button.

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Best thing to do might be to catch her in the cool of the day and take a look.

3. seaneduck

seaneduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    Ok, I caught her and had my son hold her while I tried to take a picture. SOrry it's blurry, but the best I could get with my stupid camera. You can see the definite ^ shape in her lower bill. The dark in the ^ shape is her upper bill. Her tongue isn't hanging out, and it looks like this is an old injury/deformity. She eats and drinks fine. I just hope it doesn't get worse.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by