Wood duck question ??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultrykeeper08, Jun 2, 2008.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I have read several others posts about ho they found a wood duck duckling but they die within a few days .

I was wandering iF you hatch domestic wood ducks eggs artificialy and brood them your self do you still have the same losses or since the parents are domestic the babies do better

I had gotten a wood duck duckling from a zoo and i brooded it with my muscoveys and a black sweedish and it did fine until the fox got it [​IMG]

But i also found one this year in the road and it died within a half hour

I now have 7 mandarin eggs in the incubtor and i dont want to loose them when they hatch

Any info would be great

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  2. Kramer Farms

Kramer Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Just brood them with other ducklings and you should have no troubles.

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    one hint that has helped us this year is feeding the young ,mill worms.... Just add them to the chick starter...We ordered ours off the net, they weren't very expensive... like $15.00 for 500. Mandarins are the same.The reason for doing this is that wood ducks are basically still wild ducks and the young learn to eat quicker if the food is moving!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Ok thanks for the tip . Should i still buy another domestic duckling like a runner or mallard r cyuga to teach them how to eat and such ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by