wood ducks and silver bahamians

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by bahamian raiser, Jan 5, 2014.

1. bahamian raiser

bahamian raiser Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    I am a little new to raising ducks when i was younger i had a few pekin ducks but i have never had anything like this so I was wondering what they like to eat besides goldfish or acorns but will they eat any acorns or do they have to be fresh and i have some oats and milo i dont know what would consist of their diet so anything would help

2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    You can feed them something as easy as chicken layer pellets for their basic diet. Others on here may tell you what they use to get more ideas. Save the goldfish for treats. I only have used fresh acorns since thats what falls in the pen. [​IMG] I dont see why you couldnt freeze some for later use.

3. bahamian raiser

Jan 5, 2014
    Thank you I actually have some of the chicken pellets also do you think that the ducks would be okay if I were to move them with the turkeys so I can dig out the pond some more I have 1 red bourbon hen a royal palm hen and a drake royal palm

4. Dr. Todd

Dr. Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    From where did you read that goldfish and acorns were a suitable diet for these birds?

I hate to sound preachy in every single post but here I go again. Always ask the person you are buying birds from what they are feeding them. Getting the same or a similar diet at your place will help make for a smooth transition to their new home.

DT

5. bahamian raiser

Jan 5, 2014
    Sorry I didnt specify but i meant that those were treats for the ducks and i have read that wood ducks love acorns.Thank you for the advice i had not thought of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by