1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wood Ducks??? Anyone have any eggs for sale NC

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by BackSwampGirl, Jan 10, 2009.

1. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    Does anyone have any wood duck eggs for sale?Please Let em know,PM me please!!!!! Sandra,NC

2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    You may want to subscribe to the Gamebird Breeders Gazzett.
    They have tons of waterfowl and pheasants for sale at FAIR market prices.
    I watched in shear aw last year as 4 mandarin egg or so would go for $100 plus every time on eBay, and the woodies werent far off either. That just stupid when you can buy yearling pairs of woodies for $30 all day long and mandarins @ $45.
    Try them or I can look up some of my old buddies #'s for you.
    You can also check the A.P.W.S.
    American Pheasant & Waterfowl Society it's a magazine for those breeders too
    Good luck,
    Aubrey

3. imfowl

imfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    I didnt think it was possible to riase wood ducks. Every time I tried, they always died.

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    No they are pretty tuff if they are from pen raised stock that is! LOL
    a Little trick is at a day old, pick them up about haed hi and drop them, Yeah, I know it sound cruel, but the are tree nesters.
    The babies have to jump at birth to get out. This goes for mergansers, mandarin, or any others that are cavity nesters.
    That little jolt just seems to do the trick.
    You can do it on the carpet or something soft, dont do it in the garage!
    I always did it over a tub full of water.
    Try it. You'll be suprised at your end results in survival
    Aubrey

P.s
    they are not for beginers though, dont get me wrong there! They do take more skill than mallards

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  5. imfowl

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    Maybe it was because I would catch the wild ones. I didnt know there were pen raised wood ducks, but I would love to have some!

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    That's why!
    There is some thing about the wild ones, they just wont make it.
    Not to mention, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service frowns on that! LOL!
    But yes, they have been kept for many years as have every other breed of wild duck in the world.
    I have raised over 100 different breeds at one point in time or another.
    Dont have any now and it's killing me. They are the next thing on my wish list, to get all my wild (type) ducks back

7. imfowl

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    Wood ducks are beautiful. I am an avid duck hunter and have taxidermy of wood ducks on my wall, along with pintails, teal, and canvasback. But I would love some in my flock. Would they stay in there with my crested ducks, or would they try to fly off?

8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I've read that wild caught ones rarely make it, for the simple fact that being captured and raised without their mother is so stressful on them. Where pen raised birds, were born into captivity and do better in captivity.

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:Buy them from a breeder and reqest that they be pinioned (wing clipped)
    They wont have a choice then.
    All captive migratory waterfowl have to be marked by law in one of 2 ways, clip off one of the hind toes or pinion one of the wings.
    I have owned all the breeds you mentioned including 18-20 different teals and 4 types of pintails. They are all easy to keep , the cans anr the hardest as are most of the divers.
    If you really want them, check into the 2 magazines I mentioned above, that is all they are about, careing for and breeding waterfowl and upland gamebirds.
    A permit will be issued to you by the breeder, and that is all you need to OWN them.
    If you wish to sell them however, you must get your own permit from the U.S. Dept of the Interior, Fish and Wild life Service, Captive Bred Waterfowl Section.

And yes, any form of caputre or egg collecting of wild birds is illegal, and they never make it any way
    Good luck with it,
    Aubrey

10. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:I have to disagree with the "they never make it". I ended up with a clutch of orphaned wild mallards last spring whose mother was hit by a bush hog right when they were hatching. They all made it just fine but were wild as all get out and no way could be tamed. I released them onto a remote pond on my property right before they were ready to fly and we did get to witness them finally taking flight and leaving. I am totally opposed to removing young birds or eggs from the wild except in cases where there is no chance of survival without human intervention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by