Wood ducks breeding?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmdude, Oct 5, 2011.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I've been seeing wood ducks hanging out on my ponds this fall. This happened last fall as well, but there has been more this year. I often get water fowl using my place as a rest stop while they migrate in spring and fall. I was wondering if they were checking out my place for nexting in the spring? Should I to put up some nest boxes? Do male wood ducks stay with the hens?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I think you should if you feel that your area is safe enough for them and their ducklings. They might not nest in them right away, though. It may take a few seasons, but perhaps not. There's a lot of sites and information out there to help with building and placing wood duck nest boxes. Perhaps there's a wood duck nest box program in your area who might give you some free boxes or advice.

Male wood ducks don't assist the hens with brooding or raising ducklings, but they may hang around if there are other wood ducks in the area.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I encourage the wild birds that I want by growing appropriate food plants for them and provided species specific shelter.

If you want wood ducks to stick around put out the right nest boxes, make sure there is plenty of shelter of the type they want and learn what they eat and make sure there is a lot of it.

I don't have any wild ducks in my area, but I have greatly increased the Crested Quail population in my area by building brush pile shelters for them and growing plants that produce the kinds of seeds they eat.

Secure shelter is absolutely critical if you want them to stick around. They must be able to hide from predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by