Wood ducks in subzero temps

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by waterfowl rocks, Jan 6, 2015.

1. waterfowl rocks

waterfowl rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    I just got a pair of wood ducks and it is going to get at least ten below in the very near future. All I got on them is a 60 watt bulb and they are in a 4'x4' building. Will they be ok? Also the female got in her water dish a got her tail feathers covered with globs of ice. What do about that? And then I have one more qeustion. Is 16% layer and scratch and grain ok for them?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If i was you I'd go here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/46/ornamental-fowl-swans-etc more folks with wood ducks there to better answer your question. But i would put some kind of scrap wood over what ever your using for their water to keep them out I use heated buckets and cover half with a scrap piece of wood then put a heavy rock on top to keep them from pushing the wood off. if she sat on the water and her feet froze she could get a nasty frost bite. Like this [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  3. waterfowl rocks

Apr 26, 2014
    Thanks I ended up lowering the lamp and that is melting the ice off and thanks for link, and bucket tip I will be sure to try that.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

5. zbosco13

zbosco13 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2015
    SE MI
    Not to hijack this thread, but my pekins have been spending a lot of time outside lately. Yesterday morning I looked out and they were both outside their little shed just sitting in the straw. It was 4*F. I was planning on putting a heat lamp in their shed but even approaching subzero they seem to spend as much time sitting outside as they do inside their nicely insulated straw-filled shed. Thoughts?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine do the same thing have access to their house but prefer to be out side even if it means sitting on their feet and legs, they are wearing a nice insulated coat to keep their bodies warm. I have never used heat in my house to fire risky it's 4* this morning with wind chills down around -20

7. waterfowl rocks

Apr 26, 2014
    Mine won't go inside either. I usally just end up giving them high protein feed, someone said it would keep them warmer.

8. zbosco13

zbosco13 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2015
    SE MI
    Yeah fire risk was my major concern too. I'll have to pick up some of the high protein feed, thanks for the advice. -3 this morning before wind chill and they're both inside now(for once).

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I also give mine whole corn in the mornings and in afternoon when it's this frigid. It also gives warmth. this is along with their fermented feed that is kept nice and warm in their heated bowls. Lets hope the temps moderate soon.

10. fowlplay1950

fowlplay1950 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2012
    I want to warn you that having a light on for birds will most likely cause their biological clock to be altered and they will not lay eggs this spring or the eggs if laid can be infertile. I had to learn this the hard way. I have heard that using the red colored heat lamps are okay however I have not tried this enough to say it works. If you provide the ducks a place to get out of the wind they should be okay with cold temps. Provided they have good feathering like access to bathing water. This time of year it is hard to do that but not impossible. I use the pond heaters like from Tractor Supply to keep the water open and I also provide aeration 24/7 to the pond which also helps keep it open. I would try to get a game bird feed that is around 16% protein and pellets are the best in my opinion if you can get them. There is less waste with pellets. Wild type ducks require different care than domestic and I think clean feathers seem to be more important with the wild ducks.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by