Wood ducks, Mandarins & GW Teal

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by giffy, Nov 12, 2008.

1. giffy

giffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    As the days get colder and the ducks take on their breeding plumage I enjoy taking pictures of them. Here is a few I have taken recently of some of the birds I have in my aviary. Taken with Canon 300d/Canon 85mm prime lens.

giffy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Marvelous!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

3. youdontknow32

youdontknow32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    That's amazing.

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    GORGEOUS!!!!!!! Hey, maybe you can help me out.... there's a single white Mandarin or wood duck at a local water park and it has a leg band. Do people release them with bands??

5. giffy

giffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Quote:Sounds like it was an escapee from someones pen.

6. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I've been considering whether or not to attempt a capture... LOL But I don't want to break any rules... he's all by himself and 1/2 the size of the smallest duck. Is there a registry where you can find owners by their leg band? And sorry for the hijack.... it has been bothering me since I saw him a couple days ago.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    So pretty! What is the one in the second pic? It looks fake, it is so pretty! [​IMG]

8. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Do you have to have a permit for these lovely ducks, are the considered game?

9. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    exquisite work! WOW! I wouldnt mind having larger copies of the Mandarin one to put on the wall!! WHEW!!

I would love to know more, do they keep well in captivity? Cold Climate? Can they free range, or will they take off? We have wild wood ducks in our area, we see them each spring.

Where would a person get young mandarins from, and do you have to have permits etc...

Arent you glad you posted these images? Now your going to be stuck here like the rest of us!!

10. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Nice website!! I LOVE the pics of the local wildlife, especially the garter snakes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by