Wood ducks(update: :'( )

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckchick2011, May 17, 2011.

1. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Okay, so I have been incubating this wood duck egg that was thrust upon me during a big storm about 2-3 weeks ago.
    Well, he internally pipped yesterday evening. I was so excited I ended staying up half the night shinning a flash light into my incubator just watching the little egg rock back and forth. He seems to be finally making progress as far as the internal pip is going but looks like he is having a little trouble with the inner membrane.

I have never in my life incubated or even owned a wood duck so I am at a loss as to what exactly I should be doing. I bought an expensive bag of game starter/grower crumbles, so I am okay in the food department. I have a brooder as well, but I can see this is going to one lonely chick, all my other ducks are half grown(well big and clumsy anyway). Would it be prudent to buy the duckling a buddy?

How different is this chick going to be from my other domesticated ducks and what do I need to do in order to keep him happy?[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    bump [​IMG]

I really need some advice, the websites I find with info seem a little limited.

It would be nice to hear some peoples experience with them.

Personality, extra care, quirks, tendancies, tamabiltiy, etc.....

3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I've read that they are hard to get to eat and that having domestic in with them to show them helps but the domestics need to be removed after they start eating by themselves because they will quickly outgrow and overrun the little thing.

If you keep him by himself he will most likely learn that your a safe but otherwise the first time he sees another duck he be wild again, and you will need a covered brooder cause they can climb and jump!

4. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    soooo, what your saying is that raising him alone is the better option...

Would letting him do the whole, jump out of a nest box senario get some of the jumpiness out of him, satisfy some of his instinct or something like that.

I don't mind having a pet wood duck, in fact its something I have been wanting to do.

My mom knew a lady who had one that followed her everywhere, even as an adult...maybe that was a one time senario but, it would be really cool to have a beautiful duck follow you around. (believe it or not I am really hoping it is a female, the males are beautiful, but the females have a certain grace about them and they don't lose that after the breeding season.)

Any thing else I should know, expect, look forward too, etc...

5. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    The hardest part is getting them to eat or drink. Period. If that can be done then yes he would follow you around. Once raised with other ducks he wont be as friendly but they do a good job of getting him to eat . If by himself you may try holding him and dipping his beak in the water. What Kansaskid meant was the other ducks teach him to eat and drink. It doesnt do anything to let him "jump" from the nest box. Keep him warm for the first 3 weeks

6. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Thank you,

....why do they have such a hard time begginning to eat?

I mean, I have no way of getting another duckling to teach him unless I order one, and that could take weeks...my feed store only has chicks not ducks, sigh

He is still internally piping, but the shadowing inside the shell is increasing, I can see his little chest moving and his legs kicking and I can no longer see the yellow yolk like I could before, but the viens on the side of the egg are still there except for on the side I can see his beak.

I am excited, end of story....

Again thanks for all the advice, I know I kinda sound like a noob but...I am as far as wild ducks are concerned, which is funny since I am totally obssessed with them. [​IMG]

7. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Then just "peck" at the food with your finger like a beak so he knows where it is and dip his bill in the water and make sure a leans back to drink it. Thats if you actaully do have problems!

8. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Hold on a sec, if you can still see prominent veins are you sure he has internally pipped?
    how long has he been in the incubator?

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  9. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Well, to be 100 % honest, I have no clue how old this duckling is, it is a very long story, too long [​IMG] . In short, the eggs were in a tree that was knocked down in a storm and had to be removed. The guy that gave him to me just waltzed into my yard and put him in my hands,literally, Ididn't even know who the guy was, appearently some one had told him I had an incubator. [​IMG]

All I really know is that he looked to be ten days developed when I put him in and it has been two weeks, and he appears to be internally pipping, (there is alot of shadowing, kicking, and the air sack is very large and looking sunk on one end.)

What else could be going on?

Am I wrong? Has the air sack ruptured prematurely or something? [​IMG]

It really looks like pipping, the egg is rocking, the viens have dissapeared where his beak pushed through, though there are some spidery ones around the edges I can see....

I feel so worn out by this...tell me this isn't a bad sign.

10. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    14 days? if it has internally pipped i would assume they had been incubated by the wood duck hen before the tree fell. Otherwise it is way to early, but what you described in your last post sounds like he is about ready, and to be sure he has indeed pipped through the membrane and is ready to try and chip at the shell you should be able to hold it up to your ear and hear him pecking or chirping (unless he's taking a break [​IMG] ) whats your humidity?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by