wood ducks won't eat

glenda

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 29, 2007
N.E.Texas
I just bought a breeder pair of 2 year old Wood duck and they are owesome ,but I have yet to see them eat,they got here on Tuesday should I be worring yet or do you think they'll eat when they get hungry or possialbe behind my back,when I'm not watching any ideas would be great help.trying to find meal worms to encourge them to statr eating but no luck at find the worms please Help

What are you feeding them? Shoudl be same thing they are used to for a bit. In the wild they like whole kernal corn , acorns and duck week on ponds. Guessing only that you may have a hard time getting them to eat pelleted feed unless they were raised on it....

have them on game bird chow ,the owner said thats what she also feed,,they are in temp.housing with same pool think that might be the problem,but she kept them in dog kennel 6x10 with a pool.I'm enclosing by big Koi pond for them where it will feel more natural.but I can put duckweed in they're pool if you think that would help.and trying to get them mealworms as well thanks for the advice glenda

My ducks just LOVE when I pick grass and put it in their pool, they always eat every scrap of it. You might want to give it a try. But if you got them on Tues. and they are ok and everything, they're probly eating when you're not around. I wouldn't be worried, especialy since it's the same food their used to. But if you are really concered, try picking them up and just gently placing the tip of their beak in the food so they see it's there, they might start eating too, mine do.

Best of luck!

Thank for the advice I'll try the grass and duckweed,and I don't think they can eat my koi MisPris my koi are bigger then the ducks,I have had my koi for years and they are bigbut they are plant eatters so I don't think tell hurt the ducks.was my first concern

Umm the koi won't hurt the ducks. The ducks are meat eaters. If they can manage it they will eat your fish.

I have a koi pond myself. I also have ducks - that are housed very far away now. So, ask me how I know.
hmm.png

I used to raise madrians which are very much like the wood duck...... If you ask me they are eatting but doing it on the sly. Very shy birds don't much like people but will tolorate being watched from a distance. I loovvveee wood ducks...
Did you know... that a baby woodduck duckling needs to fall a ways to get it to eat? Learned that from a long time breeder of them
Allie

Back
Top Bottom