Wood Fences, Goats, and Sheep

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Preservation Acres, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I've been trying to find a nice fence design for the road frontage on my property. The fence will will be holding goats, sheep, and a couple of donkeys. I'm going to make it about 4.5 feet high. I have cedar posts, but need to buy the other wood.

Any help from you guys would be very much appreciated.

What kind of wood, and what size boards?
    What kind of coating for the posts and boards?
    How far apart should the posts be?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I would also like to see what everyone says about this!

3. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    After being the former owner/maintainer of a wooder white rail fence, I can see why the new PCV plastic ones are becoming popular. No upkeep.[​IMG]

4. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:Is my photo showing for you? Not sure what's my issue.

5. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:I've looked at a few of those, and they don't look very sturdy. How does their quality compare to a wood fence?

6. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:Ok, I guess I should say what we had. This was almost thirty years ago. There was 1000 feet of wood fence. 4 x 4 pressure treated posts @ 8' on center 5 feet tall. 4 - 2 x 6 douglas fir rails with a flat 2 x 6 on the top rail. First, the sheep started sticking their heads between the rails. The lanolin from the wool collected dust and made it look greasy and dirty. We ended up streaching wire between each of the rails to keep their greasy heads in. Then, the horse started leaning against the top rail in the winter and causing it to lean, so, we put a hot wire on the inside of the top rail. Thank god we didn't have goats too. Oh yea, re-painting it before we moved was alot of fun too.[​IMG]

7. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    The plastic fence idea is sounding better.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you plan to build it like the picture, all you will have left is donkeys, because goats and sheep will go right through anything much over 6 inches.

I have a similar fence with electric wire run between the boards that keeps everything in, but still has the appearance youre looking for

9. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:I've looked at a few of those, and they don't look very sturdy. How does their quality compare to a wood fence?

I can't really say. The one person that I did talk to about them wasn't impressed with their durability. His horses kept breaking them when it was extremly cold out side. He was in Montrose, CO.

10. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I drive by a pasture with the pvc type fence. It's really pretty, but there are almost always boards knocked down by the horses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by