Wood Floor for Rabbits?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Willow's Meadow, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    How many of you have wood floors for you rabbits? I'm thinking of having one in the hutch and covering it with hay/straw. Will the rabbits chew it/do yours?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Mine has a wood floor with linolium (sp?) over it.. and i put hay on top of that.
    I think its MUCH better than them having to live on wire...
    Litter box train them..and the pen will be easy to keep clean...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I don't have rabbits now. When I did I liked using a removable piece of wood for them. I didn't like the all wire bottoms either. Neither did the rabbits. They always preferred laying on the wood.
    Using the removable wood, I could always switch it out to allow cleaning and to dry out in the sun.
    This year I used the rabbit hutches as brooders for chicks. I fed and watered on the wire bottom side and put animals bedding on the wood side for sleeping. It worked out great.

4. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks for posting, I'm re-doing a rabbit hutch I got from a garage sale, and was thinking the same thing. I'm hoping to litter train so clean up would be easier regardless of wood or wire. I like the idea of the linoleum on the bottom, too.

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I wouldn't put them on wood. The urine will seep through the hay/straw/shavings and soak into the wood, and I don't know how you would go about getting the smell out of it. [​IMG]

My house rabbit is in a large dog crate with a plastic liner in the bottom.

For outdoor rabbits or custom built hutches, cover the wood bottom with linoleum or cut a piece of thick rubber (the kind you put on the floor of a shop or garage to keep your feet from getting sore) to fit. If you litter train them, then cleanup is a breeze. Just wipe everything down, clean the litter box, and you're good to go.

6. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    In my old hutch, I had a small wood floor on one side, then a bin on the other side that held shavings. I never really had an issue with them peeing on the wood, they got the whole 'pee on the shavings' thing pretty quick [​IMG]

My current hutch has a wire floor. My bunnies do have a nice soft, old t-shirt in a nesting box to lay on if they want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by