Wood heat??? Chickens ok with this?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Ok I have a question...it's getting into the negative zero ranges here now and right now we don't have our bantam coop done. We do have a shed that is about 16X16 that has a wood stove in it. If we burn wood in the shed would the chickens be ok with that? Or would the smell from the wood stove kill them? What we would do it get it nice and toasty right before bed time and than shut the stove down for the night. The shed is insulated but the chickens are all in cages right now in our garage which is also insulated but its still darn cold in there and now way to heat it. I hope someone can tell me soon as we want to move them tonight.

2. shareneh

shareneh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    North Dakota
    If your chimney doesn't leak and the woodstove doesn't leak there shouldn't be a problem. Look at it this way, if you would spend the night in there and trust it then your chickens should be ok in there. I wouldn't let them loose in there because they could burn themselves on the stove.

3. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    wow that is cool..

I mean warm... I dont know about hurting the babies tho..

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Yeah, what shareneh said... have you thought about putting in cable TV for them?

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My BIL has spent the night out there and he was fine, It does get smoky at first when we first light it up of course but It's not smoky after we close up the door and open the vent. I think I will try the roosters first to make sure. I don't want to lose my d'uccle group. They can than have the heat lamp and be ok in the garage. I really think they would be fine especially if I close it down for the night. And no they will not be running lose for sure...the shed is my hubby's computer room and he would not want that [​IMG]

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    have you thought about putting in cable TV for them?

[​IMG] We could have cable in there if we had a tv in there. Maybe I should put a chicken show on for them [​IMG]

7. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Part of my barn and coop area has a concrete basement in it. I have heated the building off a woodstove many times without an issue.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i think it may be okay..but..please..please..be careful what you use for wood!..i had a parrot die from wood i burned one time..the fumes killed him..the wod was pressure treated(yeah..i KNOW!..idiot!...[​IMG]..)..so, i think it was the pressure treated wood that killed him...but..i DO know that any type of smoke is pretty bad for birds...so...i dont really know what is safe or not....thanks for asking the question!

9. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:The open door/closed vent could be the problem with the smoke at first.
    By vent do you mean the vent on the front of it or the chimney vent?

When you start your stove, try putting some paper and kindling back towards the
    chimney hole. Once the chimney heats up a little, it will pull the smoke out naturally.

Is it a pot bellied stove, or a longer flat top stove?

meri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by