Wood mites

Jul 22, 2021
I've just gotten chicks for the first time 3 weeks ago and I know there are wood mites in my yard but idk if these type of mites would be a problem for chickens? I know these particular mites have been around for years, my husband has corded wood stacked in the yard and every piece of wood he's ever brought home will eventually get these mites, they are tiny almost unnoticeable without a close inspection of the wood and a grey color. If I pick up any wood in my yard I can see them on the underside running around. I know there are certain mites and lice that infect chickens but are these ones I should be concerned about? I know these will eventually make it to the coop cause it's wood and we've already discussed replacing the coop over time from weathering or general damage but I don't want my bird's to suffer an infestation. I've tried searching online but not finding anything specific to wood mites and chickens. If anyone knows about these I'd greatly appreciate the advice.

:welcome :frow
ChickenMites.jpg

They will not bother the chickens . We call them wood louse , They are a crustacean that eats rotten wood and such .
Could this be what they're pecking at? We only put bedding up in their boxes and the feed is down lower yet they still keep kicking up the bedding and pecking around. I saw a few of them on the outside of the coop this morning. Glad they won't bother the chickens, thank you.

Could this be what they're pecking at? We only put bedding up in their boxes and the feed is down lower yet they still keep kicking up the bedding and pecking around. I saw a few of them on the outside of the coop this morning. Glad they won't bother the chickens, thank you.
That could be to chickens they are like shrimp to us . :love

I agree probably just wood mites. If you don't see anything crawling on the birds. Also check at night after they roost some mites only come out at night and feed on the birds. I use a headlamp so I have both hands free to inspect the birds. Good luck and have fun with your flock...

We have a lot of ticks this year, I am hoping to get some guineas . I know in their land they come from they pay heck on the ticks .
My husband says there are ticks out here but I've never seen one. Mosquitoes are my problem, I've heard the chickens can help reduce the numbers, their already expert fly catchers at 6 weeks so I'm optimistic. Are ticks a big issue with chickens or do they eat them off themselves?

Back
Top Bottom