Wood Pallet Coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ndemerly, Nov 29, 2010.

1. ndemerly

ndemerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Owosso, MI
    Being a broke college student and trying to add to my flock isn't working to well right now. I'm thinking of attempting to build a coop out of free pallets, however, I can't figure out how to attach them together to make an eight foot wall and not compromise the integrity of the structure. I am more than competent with tools, so don't worry about me not understanding! Thanks in advance.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    What about using plywood on the outside? Nailing everything together with plywood or 4x8 osb would hold everything together...

3. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    Side to side is fairly easy with the skids; just nail those together to get the width you want. Up-and-down, hmmmm.....I think I'd "toe-nail" the skids with long nails, or possibly use mending plates. Not sure how well the plates would do structurally, though. Maybe dismember some of the pallets to use the wood as braces/studs. That would give you the support you need.

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Since I'm going through this process right now, I can speak from experience. Attach the pallets to the floor with screws, and to each other with long screws or bolts.
    There are lots of good pallet-coop threads on here (and online elsewhere) that give almost step by step instructions. Google pallets sheds.

You can see my very slow progress on my coop page.

5. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    I have seen some who took the pallets apart and used the wood. When using whole pallets, I would think hard about the exposed empty spaces inside. They look to me like great places for feed to get lost, rats to nest, chickens to get stuck, etc.

Pallets are great for stacking metal feed bins (i.e. trash cans!) on. They help prevent condensation inside the bins. You can also set an isolation cage on a pallet to keep it off the ground. And of course they're good in emergency mud situations.

6. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm actually in the process of finding some wood pallets too, if I can get my hands on some then I would take them apart and use the wood. I'd be afraid of the chickens getting stuck and as mentioned other animals getting in. I'm sure it'll take more time to take them apart but it would be best, IMO. [​IMG]

7. El Naked Neck

El Naked Neck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Earth
    :d

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:OR, you can use the space to put insulation, then top with inexpensive paneling or siding [​IMG]

9. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    here is what my hubby did it turned out so great
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by