wood pellets are not working for my chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tamma, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Tamma

Tamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    When I put my five 2 day old chicks in their enclosure on pine shavings they started eating them. And I had one chick with pasty butt I had to fix. So I read on here to use wood pellets so I changed. I really don't like the wood pellets. They are not warm for the chicks and there is not enough stuff they like to scratch around in. Should I try again with the pine shavings? They are 3 1/2 weeks old now. Is there anything else that would be better? Thanks.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Try again with the shavings, they should know what their food is by now. Still, expect them to eat some in their excitement. They would probably appreciate a little pan of dirt to dust bathe in as well :)
    Nikki

3. Tamma

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    Thanks! I will try the shavings again. I feel so bad for them on those hard cold wood pellets. I'll give it a try. By they way, they are little Polish chicks.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You can mix some of the pellets with the shavings. Thats what I do. The pellets really help with any dampness (poop) but I agree that on their own, the pellets are tough. They make is alot easier to clean especially if you have a water spill or some poop machines like cornish cross chicks or ducklings because it clumps.

5. Tamma

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    Thanks! I replaced all the pellets with shavings before I saw your post. That's a good idea to mix the wood pellets back in some. I'll give it a try after a day or so. The chicks all got loose and were traumatized by my chasing them around trying to get them back in. :0

6. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    tsc sells bedding pellets in the small pet section. theyre much smaller. Nearly the size of feed pellets. They've worked well for me when starting chicks. I usually put paper down on top of them for the first few days while theyre figuring out what not to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by