wood pellets

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by coopsgirl, Nov 21, 2008.

1. coopsgirl

coopsgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    does anyone use the stall bedding forhorses intheir coops? (wood pellets)
    if so, what is your opinion?

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you talking about the ones you spritz with a mist of water and they go "POOF" ?
    My sister has horses and was telling me about them. I'd be afraid a chick would try to eat an unspritzed one and then it would go "POOF" inside their crawl.

3. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure if this is any help, but I have used them in a cage for my old house hen who was too old and blind to stay outside. She did fin on them. I also use them in my cat box.

4. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Cat box? Sounds like a good idea. Are they cheaper than the clumping cat litter from the store?

5. coopsgirl

coopsgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    I was thinking they might try to eat them and i really dont want to spritz them, they get very fine.....

but the cat box is a real good idea..........
    thanks for info, i help[ed make my decision.

6. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    They are the best litter for baby chicks and adult birds bar none. I have used them exclusively for about 15 years now. Never lose ababy chick because they are eating the bedding. Don't "spritz" them. They will soak up all the moisture in the droppings and break down just fine.

For your cats use "The Worlds Best Cat Litter". A clumping litter that is corn based and can go right into the compost pile.

7. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    The wood pellets are amazing. I use them under the pine flake bedding to level out my "holes" the girls create in their coop. Yes I have a dirt floor. I also line my brooder boxes with them under the shavings (flakes) and papertowels I use. However, I have for the past 5 or 6 years used them in my guinea pig cages (we have a whole lot.) We have special bred long haired show pigs that would ruin their coats in shavings. And the odor control is amazing. The only problems I have ever had with the pellet bedding is some horses will at first eat them. Once their mouths get dry they usually stop. But again the odor control for the horse stalls is unbeatable.

8. trulyviolet

trulyviolet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    i have been using them for about 3 years

they cut down on dust and smell

the chickens love to break them down

we compost them after

you CAN do deep litter with them

i am still deciding what i am going to use in the new duck coop/pen that will be right next to the house
    probably a mixture of pellets in the coop and dried leaves in the run
    ( which won't be on the ground...it will have a solid wood bottom with vinyl over it as it is going to be on the driveway)

i have a shavings as well to put down either below or above

i just got two bails for my new peeps (thanks jody, they are getting HUGE and have wings and tails now!)

vi

9. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I have to add that in my opinion wood shavings are the worlds worst bedding for baby chicks.

10. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Is there a name for these, or just "wood pellets"? Where do you get them? Do I understand they are originally for horse stalls? And would be where you buy horse supplies, or at a feed store, or farm store, or where? Can you put bably chicks on them, or need to cover with paper towels for a few days, or how? Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by