Wood pellets?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kara1015, Dec 21, 2012.

1. kara1015

kara1015 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Has anyone used wood pellets for chick bedding instead of shavings? Is it safe?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hmmm...interesting thought. I wonder if whatever binder (glue?) that holds the pellet together would be detrimental to birds of they ate them?? Just speculating - I don't know.

3. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Yes, we use them exclusively. They are awesome, they don't have any binders, they just use pressure to make the pellets. We use them in brooders, chicken barns, even for our hamster! Once you use them you probably wont' go back to anything else. They keep the water and food much cleaner, because they are heavy so they are not easily kicked up by the chicks. Then when they start to break down they get really soft and comfortable. All you have to do is stir them up maybe once a day or so depending on how many chicks you have.

4. kara1015

kara1015 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I have chicks due tomorrow. Once they are settled in I am going to try the pellets! Thanks!

5. Never heard of these... Sounds great though!

6. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    When I start chicks I used Dry Den, (similar to wood pellets), I put down a piece of non slide shelf liner to cover the pellets for the first few days. Gives them a chance to figure out the feeders without the pellets in them.

Wood pellets seem to handle the moisture well, a bag goes a long way and they are not that expensive.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by