Wood Prairie Farm - The Maine Potato Catalog - luscious!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickiebaby, Nov 23, 2008.

1. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Okay, so McMurray is making me wait for my paper catalog- see previous rant - but THIS catalog has captured all of us around here. They do have an online version so you can check it out. It is luscious and exciting.

Gorgeous organic seed. Tons of heirloom taters, lots of stuff good for northerly climes, beautiful seed for sprouting that I think I'll order now for us people AND for winter chook consumption, fabulous greens, purple lettuces, you name it.

I'm getting excited about this year in general, and I always feel so in tune with our forebears when I while away my spare winter time dreaming of crops and such.

Mind you I live in town and do not have the land so many of you do. So we have to pick and choose carefully. Can't plant whole fields of alfalfa or sunflowers, can't have goats or lambies, but I am putting in a whole bunch of new raised beds this spring.

I know just how the Ingalls family felt when Godey's Ladies' Book arrived!

2. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

My first seed catalog every year is from Pinetree Garden Seeds, also a Maine company. Not to take away from the nice Wood Prairie catalog, but if you decide you want to buy potatoes, check out the prices at Pinetree - they have many of the same potatoes and their prices are fantastic!

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Johny's seeds are organic from around here in Maine. Also I order a lot of my stuff from Vessey Seeds, they require a shorter growing season and cooler temps. Another seed catalog is from MOFGA (Maine Organic Farmers Gardeners Asst)

4. chickiebaby

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    You guys are wonderful! I will check out all of those. Tonight, if they are online . . .

5. chickiebaby

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Pinetree Garden looks great and the catalog is on its way. But on the MOFGA site I did not see any seed catalogs or anything about seeds - though it looks to be an awfully good site.

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:Johnny's is online, and it's a fantastic catalog, I use it for reference every year - and I do order from them, but Pinetree is much cheaper - so if Johnny's is the only source I buy from them, but I shop around for the other varieties I want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by