Wood Shavings Dangerous??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lilywater101, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Lilywater101

Lilywater101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2009
    Hi, everyone! [​IMG]
    I have recently purchased wood shavings to go in the floor of the chicken coop, its the kind that is used in horse stables.
    I know that cedar shavings can cause respiratory problems in chickens but is "wood shavings" the same thing. [​IMG] I think they are also reffered to as pine shavings.

Any help would be welcomed.

2. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    I use pine shavings/wood shavings -- there is no problem with them as far as i know. You will be fine with the wood shavings.

3. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Pine shavings are the thing to use! If they are the same as your 'wood shavings' I'd go with it!

4. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I think I posted about cedar shavings a while back, our family of kids also had respiratory hassles with cedar, so we avoid it.

Our favorite is small pine shavings, because I have become addicted to my compost heap, the small pine shavings with chicken poop, our kitchen scraps and the dry leaves makes otherworldly compost. Especially with citrus peels mixed in. Smells GREAT.

Last month bought Aspen shavings, sold for guinea pig cages. It smelled bad. It wasn't as easy to fluff as the pine, either. I dont think its harmful, though. Just not as easy or pleasant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by