wood shavings in brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 09northernchick, May 2, 2009.

1. 09northernchick

09northernchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    I read that I shouldn't use shavings with new chicks as they might eat it. My chicks have been here over 12 hours now (3 days old) and are have been eating their crumble since soon after arriving. Should it be OK to put shavings in now? I have been using newspaper lined with paper towel so they don't slip. It's fine but it gets poopy really quickly!

2. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Pellets pellets pellets.

I dont mess with shavings. What a bother!

usually by the time theyre 5 days old or so theyre pretty well aquainted with the water and food and only taste the bedding you put in without actually eating it.

Pelleted bedding is actually safe for curious consumption. They wont EAT it, but if they swallow some whilst trying to decide what it is it wont kill them.

And it lasts for days and days and days, where as shavings are full of crap in like 24 hours and stink to holy heaven.

Either way, go for it.

3. chirpchirp

chirpchirp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Michigan
    where do you get pellets from? are they made specifically for chicks/chickens? i am getting 25 chicks in june, and bought a huge bag of pine shavings and now am wondering if i should get some pellets....

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    any feed supply store. I use the kind for horses. Although when theyre babies Cozy'n'fresh is smaller and just right for the purpose- its made for small pets like rabbits and guinea pigs. TSC carries it for like 5.99 for a 20 pound bag.

You can cover the pellets with paper towels for the first two days- it only takes that long for their little feet to get big enough to deal with the pellets easily.

I've tried shavings and other bedding materials many times, and been quite dissapointed no matter what the application. Pellets are dusty. Thats the ONLY thing I've found wrong with them. But its not bad enough to annoy me or make them not worth using.

5. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    i've noticed that my one week olds (just put on shavings today) have been "taste testing" the shavings. they know where the food is though. As long as they don't eat a lot i think they should be ok right? Those pellets sound good though, much neater I bet..

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  6. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I am using shredded paper for my 4 day olds. I bring it home from work, so it doesn't cost me a thing. They will pick a piece up like it's a worm and then all the others will chase her around but after awhile they just drop it and then run over and gobble up their feed. It's fun to watch and I haven't seen them eat any. All of my chicks took to their water and feed right away. I did have paper towels down on top of the shredded paper for the 1st day though.

7. AndyL

AndyL Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    CT
    I plan on using an old dog crate/kennel for my brooder, for my chicks shipping May 18th.. it has a removable plastic bottom. I am going to put 1/4" wire mesh screen on the bottom of the crate to use as a floor and the sides as well. I saw the idea from the "what do you use for a brooder?" section here. It makes total sence to me, the originator of the idea used several peceis of paper towels for them to relax on and the poop and spilled feed/water just falls through the mesh to the pan which can be lined with paper towels removed and cleaned without having to let the chicks out! Great idea to me, no shavings, no fuss, no muss.

8. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Just be careful using shreded paper, it could catch on fire from the heat lamp.

i might have to try those pellets with my next batch of chicks.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I used large flake pine shavings from day one. They picked them up to investigate, but were more interested in their feed. Never had a problem.

10. Over Easy in Adna

Over Easy in Adna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Adna Washington
    Quote:Ummmmm........At around 450 degrees, the ignition temperture of paper, would a fire really make a difference to the chicks that are in the box?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by