1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wood shavings in the water!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lilstar, May 18, 2011.

1. lilstar

lilstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    they are making me crazy. I change the water several times a day due to there being SO much wood shavings in it that it pretty much completely absorbs the water. Anyone have tricks to prevent this?

2. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Raise the waterer/feeder to the height of the chickens backs. Doing that will help, and they do not have to bend down as far to reach the food/water.

Mark

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Put it up onto bricks and they will hop on up.

4. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    i hAd that same problem when i first got chicks. It was very annoying. Then one day i was in the feed store and saw they had theirs raised up. Felt kinda dumb not thinking about it myself.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use wood blocks to raise mine.

6. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    I finally decided to order some nipple watering tips. I LOVE them! For the brooder I used a large peanut butter jar and drilled the hole for the nipple in the bottom. I also drilled a hole in the lid for an eye bolt to hang the jar. No more shavings it's great! I had chicks that were about 3 days old and they learned to use it right away. Also the bedding stays dry.

7. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:x2! Nipple waterers are simply the only way to go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by