wood shavings on the floor???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by D'Angelo N Va., Dec 9, 2010.

1. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I keep seeing pics. of hen houses with lots of wood shavings on the floor. what is this for? When it's time to clean out the hen house which I do 2 times a year and spread the fertilizer around my flowers and plants...is there a chance of creating termites around the plants? and what kind of shavings is best?

2. papeine

papeine Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Hastings
    I use pine shavings.. and use this as garden fertilizer. I heard cedar is bad for chickens..

3. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    What do you use in yours that you clean out twice a year? I use pine shavings. It seems to be the most recommended.

4. D'Angelo N Va.

Dec 28, 2009
    Wow! Thanks for the quick reply. I am glad to know this. I guess it also helps with the insulation in the winter time?

5. D'Angelo N Va.

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:just the poop and debris...I throw all my plant clippings in there along with wheelbarrow loads of grass that I pull up each week for them to eat. they have a run, but they are not free ranged because I keep losing them to dogs when I am not home.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It doesn't help with the insulation so much as prevent them from having to wade around in their own poo.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Although, if you keep 6 to 8 inches of pine shavings, and it's maintained well, the chokes can, and will, on occasion, snuggle gown into the litter/bedding when it's colder, during the day.

8. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    The chickens would eat any delicious termites that was in their bedding.

9. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Pine! I keep it thick in their bedding area; in the run I mix old shavings + autumn leaves.

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    If you put in 6 to 8 inches of pine shavings--available from most feed stores--it is call the "deep litter " method of management. The poop will mix in with the shavings and dries. If you occasionally fluff the stuff up or toss some BOSS or scratch into it and let the birds do it, the coop will stay dry and, relatively, odorless for quite a while. I go a full year on mine before cleaning down to the bare floor in April and tossing the stuff onto the garden--although I do add a bale or two of shavings in midwinter. I doubt termites will get into the shaving/manure combination especially if you till it under fairly quickly. Actually by the time I clean up some of it is composting already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by