Wood shavings problem

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ilovechicks2, Aug 2, 2011.

1. ilovechicks2

ilovechicks2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    I am having trouble containing the pine shavings in the coop. The entire backyard and run is covered in it. Can someone help me?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    i only have them in the closed in coop i have pieces of linoluim flooring under them to keep them from falling through the hardware cloth they stay put

3. Vtchicks

Vtchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Rutland, VT
    From the pictues Iam havinga hard time figuring out where the shavings are suppose to be. Where did they start?

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

change to sand....It is great! [​IMG]

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Looks like an open air coop, unless you enclose it the bedding will fly around and be kicked around by the birds.

6. ilovechicks2

ilovechicks2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Quote:Here are some more pictures. They started inside the closed in part of the coop. one side has all mesh and one side has a big door. And don't forget the hole in the floor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Vtchicks

Vtchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Rutland, VT
    I would put 1X6 where the mesh is, and 2X6 around the hole in he floor. But like mentioned before, sand would probably worh better for your coop. But you will still need to border it with something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by