wood shavings

appleacres

Chirping
Feb 9, 2021
At what age can you use wood shavings in the coop for keets? I have heard they eat them if exposed to them when young...but how young? Mine seem to be pecking at them, but I can't tell if they are eating it or not. They are also eating their food. They are three weeks old and I just put them in on it. Hoping it's just a new experience thing and they won't keep eating it, they seem to love snuggling down in them, but I don't want them to get impacted. They have grit and water.

Also-I realize I am asking a lot of questions on this forum, and I really appreciate everyone holding my hand as I walk through this first experience with guinea hens!

At what age can you use wood shavings in the coop for keets? I have heard they eat them if exposed to them when young...but how young? Mine seem to be pecking at them, but I can't tell if they are eating it or not. They are also eating their food. They are three weeks old and I just put them in on it. Hoping it's just a new experience thing and they won't keep eating it, they seem to love snuggling down in them, but I don't want them to get impacted. They have grit and water.

Also-I realize I am asking a lot of questions on this forum, and I really appreciate everyone holding my hand as I walk through this first experience with guinea hens!
The recommendation is not until they are 2 weeks old and be sure to provide grit if they are on shavings.

Back
Top Bottom