Wood stain for my coop~ Question!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tiffanyg2, May 10, 2011.

1. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Allright I'm in the process of building my coop and today I picked up a wood stain for it. I bought a Semi-Transparent Olympic Maximum paint stain and it's suppose to guarantee the wood for atleast 5 years. But I was just wondering if the chickens will pick at the wood?? I think all the paints and stains could be dangerous if one decided to eat the wood~ but is that a necessary concern? Like for instance, my parrot chews wood~ so I wouldn't use it on anything he's around... I don't think it's in a chickens nature to pick and eat at the wood [​IMG] But I want to hear some feed back from you guys! Thanks so much~

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    No, chickens don't peck at or eat wood the way parrots do. You don't have to be worried about that. All the wood in my coops and runs is stained, and there's been no problem.

Of course, chickens are susceptible to toxic fumes the way other birds are, so you need to be sure that whatever you paint or stain is completely dry and odor free before the chickens move into the coop.

I would also not use a stain on a perch, more from the perspective of how it would be to clean, although stain might potentially be irritating in constant contact with the chickens' feet. You can paint a perch, though, and many people do, using a gloss or semi gloss paint. I wish I had, it would make cleaning the roosts easier.

3. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:Oh that's great to hear! Haha I would definately make sure everything is dry and odor free and I will be putting pleanty of ventilation in as well. I was actually going to use natural branches from some trees that I cut down out of the yard~ They love those right now so I figured I would incorporate it into the new home [​IMG]

That makes me feel better~ I didn't even think about that before I purchased the stain [​IMG] Haha Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by