Wood stove pellets for bedding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jessylee, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jessylee

jessylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    I have heard conflicting statements from this forum about wood stove pellets used as bedding, What types of additives and certain types of wood should I look our for? I have several people on craigslist that have slightly moist free pellets. I am new to all this and currently buy shavings. What do all you think? Any advise is welcome.

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I use them. The ones TSC carries are plain, untreated pine pellets. The exact same as they carry for horse bedding, except about 50cents cheaper for 40lbs. During the winter I buy the stove pellets to save a few pennies.
    Some pellets are treated with glue or accelerents (so I've heard anyway) so just double-check that they don't have any kind of chemicals added.

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    We use Equine Fresh pellets for the bunny. I tried in the past using wood stove pellets, but they were hardwood. That did not work well.

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I use the Equine pellets as kitty litter. It's the same as Feline Pine only a lot cheaper!!

5. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I also use equine fresh for cat litter and in the trays for my wire bottomed brooders. I think they are superior than any litter i've tried, i mean if they can handle horse pee then they can handle pretty much anything and the used bedding can go right in the yard. I looked at the pricing between equine fresh and wood pellets and it didn't seem to be a huge difference so I decided not to risk the changeover because I actually don't know if they are made up the same as the ones intended for animal use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by