1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Wood stove pellets for bedding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jessylee, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jessylee

jessylee Songster

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    I have heard conflicting statements from this forum about wood stove pellets used as bedding, What types of additives and certain types of wood should I look our for? I have several people on craigslist that have slightly moist free pellets. I am new to all this and currently buy shavings. What do all you think? Any advise is welcome.

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I use them. The ones TSC carries are plain, untreated pine pellets. The exact same as they carry for horse bedding, except about 50cents cheaper for 40lbs. During the winter I buy the stove pellets to save a few pennies.
    Some pellets are treated with glue or accelerents (so I've heard anyway) so just double-check that they don't have any kind of chemicals added.

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Songster

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    We use Equine Fresh pellets for the bunny. I tried in the past using wood stove pellets, but they were hardwood. That did not work well.

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I use the Equine pellets as kitty litter. It's the same as Feline Pine only a lot cheaper!!

5. protodon

protodon Songster

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I also use equine fresh for cat litter and in the trays for my wire bottomed brooders. I think they are superior than any litter i've tried, i mean if they can handle horse pee then they can handle pretty much anything and the used bedding can go right in the yard. I looked at the pricing between equine fresh and wood pellets and it didn't seem to be a huge difference so I decided not to risk the changeover because I actually don't know if they are made up the same as the ones intended for animal use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by