wood stove questions

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by muddyhorse, Oct 25, 2011.

1. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    we just bought a wood stove for the people coop (aka house). this is going in the living room. when we had the room built we put in the chimney. this year we were able to get hte wood stove. we have a whole house wood stove in the basement but it doesn't heat the living room. I still need to buy the stove pipe. should I get the double wall or single ? why can't I seem to find double wall pipe in black ? any ideas

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    It vents out the top. I'm going to need two 45 angles and about 8 feet of pipe

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd go with double wall. Wood stove fires burn hotter than a fireplace fire. We repiped with triple wall stainless steel when we closed up the fireplace to add our soapstone stove.

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

i vote for double wall

we had double wall on the stove in Delaware.. you could lay your hand on it when the stove was fired up

here the wood stove has a single wall pipe.. when the fire is really going and the room is dark the darn pipe glows... not good IMHO.. so we need to change it out when we get the chance before cold weather starts up again

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I say single till its close to the wall or roof. No point in insulating the heat you want out.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here is a comparison I found online for you:

Single Wall Stove Pipe
    This is the type of pipe found most often in local hardware stores and building supply stores as well as the most common stove pipe sold online. This type of pipe is easy to install and work with.
    Construction: Most single wall pipe is constructed of either 24 or 22 gauge steel. There is no insulation present.
    Clearance: Single wall pipe requires a minimum 18" clearance from the stove until it enters the chimney.
    Cost: Single wall pipe is generally cheaper than double wall pipe.
    Pros: Lighter than double wall pipe. Easy to install, available in black, blue and galvanized. Radiates heat very well, heat rooms quickly.
    Cons: Will not last as long as double wall pipe. Because of its construction and the type of steel used the exhaust produced by your woodstove eats the material away. Generally needs replacing every 3-5 years.

Double Wall Stove Pipe
    This type of pipe can be found in some hardware stores and building supply stores. It is also sold by professional chimney installers and also sold online.
    Construction: Stainless steel inner wall and black outer steel wall.
    Clearance: 6" clearance from wall combustibles and 8" from ceiling combustibles. This is the pipe to choose if you are working in tight quarters or if you want maximum protection for your walls or ceilings.
    Cost: Double wall pipe is more expensive than single wall pipe.
    Pros: More resistant to degradation over time. Will last many more years than single wall pipe. Reduced clearance over single wall pipe. Second wall of air insulation keeps the internal core hotter, boosting draft and efficiency.
    Cons: Weight. Due to the nature of it's construction double wall pipe is heavier than single wall pipe. Can be a bit more challenging to install.

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Quote:My thoughts too. Why insulate all that heat producing surface area?

If it's straight to a brick chimney then there's nothing to insulate from.

9. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Do you live in a mobile home? A stick house? Check with your insurance to see what they will cover. Then go from there. I had a house burn to the ground, no fault of the wood stove, but your insurance company will be the dictator on what type of stove pipe they will cover. Be safer then sorry!

10. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Hay SpecKled hen Hi!!!
    We had a wood burner and your right it does burn hotter than a normal fire. Ours burned near through double pipe it got so hot and cracked the plaster on the wall. We had to replace the pipe. Anyhow recently Dh took it out altogether and put a gas mock fire in ( Not at all the same [​IMG]) But we had a good lot of animals comming down the other chimeny and getting stuck. I think go for the best Double wall pipe you can even if its more expensive. Better to keep safe!

Oesdog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by