Wood stoves discussion thread.... (UPDATED:PICS PG.2)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BellLisamo, Jan 13, 2010.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Well... I officially scared the bejebus out of myself right now.

But first, let me tell you a little story...

My husband and the neighbor welded together a magnificant wood burning stove. It keeps the house around 80 when we need it to. It's wonderful in that aspect.... but, I was never educated on how to correctly use a wood stove. So one morning, I woke up and was freezing... I had piled wood in, and lit it on fire... the fire was going great... until it went out.... I didnt know anything about a damper at this time. So, naturally, I opened the door on the stove... so what do you think happened??
    My husband called it a back draft...
    The flame shot out the front and engulfed my face and chest. I immediately jumped back as fast as i could. I must have jumped 6 feet back... I checked the house, and myself very quickly, to make sure nothing was on fire. I was sure I was on fire... Nope. Thank the LORD nothing caught fire. I went to the bathroom to check my face... I noticed I no longer had any eyebrows, it took half my eyelashes, and a bunch of my hair was singed off... since then, my husband deals with the fire.... until a few months ago (my husband taught me how to use it now).
    My husband has been in california working and recording with his band. And I am here to man the fires...
    Well... a few times my husband did the fires, sometimes he'd pile too much in the front, and it would make a loud "poof" noise, and flames and smoke would try to escape out the front in what little space it could. It's so loud and it does it with so much force, that I panic. I immediatly freak out and if my husband is out in the yard, i scream for him. I suppose that is because of the first incident I had.... Well... today... I did just that. Put too much wood in... because it was 50 in the house, and my kids and I were cold. The fire did that poof thing. And I panicked. I tried to call my husband, but he's in a rehersal. So i called the neighbor. He told me to open the damper all the way. So I have, and now the fire it out. But I am still terrified of the darn thing. So from now on, only a few pieces of wood will be put in there to try to avoid this...

Anyone else do something like this? How do you handle it?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Does the stove have a bottom draft? Keeping a draft open a little bit lets the air flow up through the fire and out through the stovepipe. We only close our damper about 1/4 turn.

3. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:Ummmmm. I dont know what that means. There is a little turning thing on the door with holes, so you can close or open them, i always leave them open. My husband also made the door capable of staying a 1/2 inch open, but still safe and locked....

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    You have to start out small! Put small pieces of wood/kindling and maybe a chunk of starter log. Open the flu all the way until it gets going. When the coals are nice and red add a little more wood at a time.

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:Ummmmm. I dont know what that means. There is a little turning thing on the door with holes, so you can close or open them, i always leave them open. My husband also made the door capable of staying a 1/2 inch open, but still safe and locked....

Yup, that's a draft. Keeping it open is a good idea until the fire really gets roaring, then you can close it a little. I agree with HappyMtn, you start out small!

6. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:Thats what i thought i did. I had a small fire, and let it burn to coals, then i put more wood in there, and closed the front door, then opened the damper... til the fire was kinda loud, then i closed the damper a quarter of the way from being closed. Not sure what happened.... too much smoke build up?

7. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    A large draft flame can cause a chimney fire. Be sure to keep your chimney clean.

I've never been in AZ, but do you really need a woodstove there? I thought is was a mild climate? [​IMG]

8. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:Well it was about 40 degrees outside... and 50 in the house. Now its 66 and I can live with that... [​IMG] Our summers get to 115 sometimes, so you can get an idea of how thin skinned we are when it come to cold. LOL

9. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Quote:Well it was about 40 degrees outside... and 50 in the house. Now its 66 and I can live with that... [​IMG] Our summers get to 115 sometimes, so you can get an idea of how thin skinned we are when it come to cold. LOL

Ha! It hit 30* here today (first time in a few weeks) and I went out in a T-Shirt thinking it was finally warm out!!! [​IMG]

10. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    TipsyDog, how do you make sure the chimney is clean? My husband is gone... so here I sit, feeling like a dumb butt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by