1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wood treatment for coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by knaup109, Sep 13, 2010.

1. knaup109

knaup109 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Anyone using wood treatment for the coop? what type not toxic to the chickens?

2. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Most use latex paint, but we did stain the run area, not sure about stain inside the coup, paint would seal the wood and prevent the "nasty" little bugs from overtaking your coop.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Chickens don't chew on wood the way parrots do. You can use standard latex paint or deck stain, just don't put your chickens into the coop until it's completely dry and there is no more paint/stain smell.

4. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    white wash... mix agricultural lime and water to make a paste then roll it on. It will dry white and kill all the nastie and keep bugs at a minimum. This is safe for the interior and will not harm the chickens. Plus, it is totally organic.

5. tmb3fan

tmb3fan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Central Mississippi
    Quote:When you say all the nastie bugs, are you refering to termites? Does the lime kill them or just repel them? That is the only problem with wood I hav ever had.

6. irishbreakfast

irishbreakfast New Egg

Sep 14, 2010
  7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:When you say all the nastie bugs, are you refering to termites? Does the lime kill them or just repel them? That is the only problem with wood I hav ever had.

I think the poster is thinking of mites that hide in the crevices of wood and come out at night to feed on chickens. If you're using new wood, this isn't likely to be a problem (the wood isn't likely to have mites in it already). Once you paint or stain the wood, that will help seal the crevices to make it harder for mites to get in afterwards.

8. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    thanks Elmo... yes, I was speaking of mites, not termites. I live in Florida and if one is concerned with termites, we use pressure treated lumber or cedar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by