1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wood type in wet Oregon + stain/paint

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cverba, Jan 19, 2014.

1. cverba

cverba Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    Hey gang

We're moving from our alcove chicken coop (extension from porch) to another house where we have to build. We are trying to figure out the best method (and cost effective) to build a Tudor style coop.

Cheap wood at Home Depot is pine or douglas fir. Willamette valley gets a considerable amount of rain so we need to seal it, but without all the toxic urethane/chemicals- sealer ideas? Historically douglas fir has been used on the homes here for porches and I've read that untreated can last 10 years.So maybe we don't need a sealer?

So any thoughts on using douglas fir with an outdoor deck paint? Any thoughts on type of paint (Behr?)? We're also thinking of putting down bricks as a foundation to prevent direct contact with the soil to prevent moisture rot.

Let me know what you've done for dealing with wet conditions!

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would definitely paint the wood with a paint rated for outdoors. And put down some concrete blocks or bricks to keep it off the soil. That is what I do.

Also I have to bleach the inside of the coops periodically in winter, so you would want to seal that up as best you can too with some paint that is rated for outdoors.

Make sure the wind won't blow the rain into the windows and pop door. Put the windows on the sides where the wind doesn't blow much, and only use 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the windows (the only predator proof fencing).

I use sand inside the coops (about a 2 inch layer for my silkie coop and a very very thin layer for the shed coop) and scrape/scoop daily with a kitty litter scoop (wear mask). There is a "got sand you should" thread that is good. Otherwise the shavings turn moldy with the fog and rain making its way into the coop.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  3. eggsellentfarms

eggsellentfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    Cedar, or redwood if you can get it, would be better than fir or pine. It's also more expensive. Otherwise, go with the douglas fir and be selective when you pick out your lumber. If you do a good job painting with a high quality latex paint, it should last well. I would recommend using pressure treated lumber as the base and raising it off the ground a bit. If using standard lumber definitely raise it off the ground, and use strips of roofing as shims underneath the lumber to help prevent moisture transfer. Also you can treat the spots that are in contact with the ground/blocks with copper naphthenate, its the green, or sometimes brown, wood preservative. Also try to incorporate overhangs in your roof, especially over any openings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by