Woodchuck extraviganza!

rooster0209

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
North Dakota
aka Ground Hogs

I always thought they were soo cute! DH wanted to kill them all. Since he loves me, he has left it alone. Now, I think there are hundreds
sad.png
Alot of people have been saying they are really alot of them this year, so it isnt just my farm.

One big guy (or girl) has been really lucky or we are bad shots! I am ok with a 22 but for some reason I couldnt hit the barn with the shotgun. Even DH has missed.

There are holes all in the shelterbelt, luckily they have not moved into the barn. Yesterday afternoon I was checking a Guinea nest and saw a little woodchuck, it was soo cute, about the size of a small cat. My ever present tag-a-long Freddie was with me, and to my surprise he killed it. I think it is his first kill ever. So we are one less woodchuck and DH was very proud of Freddie.

They can be vicious. We have been infested with them since we moved here. This part of Va is just over run with them. We have trapped them and hunted them and left out poison for them. They have dug tunnels under our barn. They dug one right through a stall floor. They have eaten my garden. They leave a musky foul smell wherever they go. They are carriers of many diseases including rabies.

I don't find them cute. They are a destructive varmit.

If you fall in one of their holes while walking across the pasture I hope you don't break your ankle. Talk about the most painful thing to have happen.

My husband killed 2 giant ones one afternoon and later that day snared a smaller one with a slip snare in the barn. It is one of his favorite photos.

stevegroundhog2.jpg

When I was growing up in N. J. the count would pay a .50 bounty on each groundhog we killed. All we had to do was bring in an ear. Most of the farmers around would also pay us a dollar each. So, you know how I made my spending money in he summer time. Actually we got a dollar from the county also, a groundhog has two ears and the lady we showed them to didn't know a right from a left.
roll.png
So if you have any teens around with a 22 or 223 but them a box or shells and pay them a bounty. You would be surprised how fast the numbers go down.
yippiechickie.gif
Unless you get a good head shot, the groundhog will go back down its hole.

We have a healthy Coyote population, so they're fairly scarce in Arkansas. I'd like to BBQ a couple and see what they taste like.

Yep I'm weird I like most anything. Nothing like free protein.

I just can't figure.

We usually have at least 1 chuck in the yard daily. They don't even care if you're outside or not. For some reason, this year we haven't had a one.

Scary.

Back
Top Bottom