woodducks

Johndale

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
im getting some woodduck and mandarine eggs to hatch i was wondering if i have to have a permit for them? i live in louisiana

You have to have a federal permit for wood ducks but not mandrians. You need to federal migitory waterfowl permit. You need the federal permit for any native US duck and geese. Also you might need to get a state permit.

Here is my experience with wood ducks and other native waterfowl.

We raise Wood Ducks at our farm in Wisconsin and our ranch in South Dakota, both states require a STATE LICENSE to own wood ducks.

In Both states you can own & breed them with the state license. In WI it is called a Captive Wildlife permit. In SD it is called a gamebird license- which has 2 classes- private & commercial; you need the private license to keep birds or the commercial license if you will be selling any birds.

In addition to the state license- IF YOU ARE GOING TO SELL, GIVE, TRADE (any form of transfer) which includes- eggs, babies or birds, you then need the FEDERAL WATERFOWL PERMIT.

You DO NOT need a federal permit to just own & keep migratory waterfowl. But you need to have the documentation (USFWS Form 3-186) that you legally obtained the birds and they have been marked per law (either a pinion, toe clip or close-band).

You should check with your state, as our customers in various states across the country have the same requirements as us. The permit/license may just have a different name. The USFWS (United States Fish & Wildlife Service) Form is for transfering birds from one owner to another- BUT the permit number does not transfer to you. Each person needs their own permit.

Basically---- we can keep & rear young just under the state permit, but need the federal permit to transfer any. So make sure the seller has the proper permits- so neither of you get a fine.

Randy www.spectrumranch.net

I didn't need a permit. As long as I don't sell them or the eggs. I filled out the paperwork and sent it back to the people I bought them from, kept my copy for the file, and that was that.

Wood duck drakes I think are stunningly striking birds, what a pleasure it would be to raise some.

Unless you are getting the eggs for very little money.........don't bother. They are both very difficult to hatch in a bator and if your successful, they are then difficult to get to eat.

Both Mandarin and Wood duck hens will hatch and take care of the young for you and they are experts at it.

Each spring I see ads for Wood duck and Mandarin eggs and see folks spend alot of money on them.........the vast majority are disappointed. Your best bet is to pick up an adult pair, you should be able to find them in the $50-60 range.

One other note, both are very "flighty" and take alot of time a patience to earn your trust.

giffy
-----------------------
GiffsFarm

wood_family.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Johndale,

Yes, you have to have a permit for wood ducks here in LA. I'd start by contacting your closest Wildlife & Fisheries office.

I don't know about the mandarines,though.

Good luck, Miriam
smile.png

I really want wood ducks, but I don't want to sell them or their eggs. Do I need a permit? And do you need a permit for Mandarins? They are both beautiful birds, and I want 2-4 as pets. Any one selling them or giving them away or know someone who is? And any care info would be great too. Thanks! I live in Florida.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom