1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wooden brooder plans?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ramblin Rooster, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Hi i wanted to make a permanent wooden brooder... Anyone have any plans or helpful pics? I check the section on byc but didnt see many wooden ones i liked. thanks!

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
  3. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Thanks top knot

4. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ours is similar to TopKnot, except we used plastic mesh for the screening material instead of metal wire. Holes in the lid are for one the heat lamp other hole for red light.
    3'x8' long, light weight used 1x2 pine for framing and luan plywood for the bottom and ends and backwall. Both top covers can be hinged or just one. Being in the basement we don't worry about predators so the mesh we used is great, if outside in barn I'd go with wire mesh 1/4"

5. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I got the wire free from a friend who had a painting job in the suburbs. The lady was going to throw 3 huge rolls out to the trash!!?? (brand new) He brought it to my husband and asked if I could use it. Heck yes!!! So this is was the first project with it [​IMG]

6. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Wow I like that too

Thanks brickwall honey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by