Wooden chicken feeder designs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by youngenbreeder, Aug 18, 2011.

1. youngenbreeder

youngenbreeder Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    hello, i was planning on building an automatic chicken feeder made out of wood. i was wondering if anyone who has done this before could share some ideas and designs. thanks.

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
  3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I have a very nice wooden feeder that has zero feed waste. It was designed by another BYC member. My feeder holds over 50# of food. The box sits outside the coop with the tray inside. We have built a removable lid on the inside for easy cleaning. Here is a link to my post and the feeder we built is in post 10. The feeder takes up minimal space inside the coop. We built a roost/shelf above the feeder to prevent poop from falling in.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=535997

This is how ours turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We added the removable lid to the inside tray and we are installed a shelf above the inside feeder as an extra roost.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have built two like Nicole except mine is filled from the inside. I built one that holds over 50 lbs & one that holds over a hundred.The one in this picture is the big one. I also have another feeder so everyone can eat without having a food fight. I always have 2 waterers & 2 feeders in all my coops. You know there's always a bully that doesn't want anyone else to eat. Extra water er just in case one gets knocked over are whatever. Birds can die fast without water. Someone mentioned that quail will die in one hour without water. I'm not sure about that but in this heat they probably would. Its been triple digits forever with no sign of relieve.[​IMG]

5. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I've seen ones like above, but built between the wall studs.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Thats where I got the design. The guy had to fill it by getting on the roof of the coop. I'm scared of heights. LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by