Wooden door ...how to secure it

DonnaScott

Chirping
Aug 13, 2019
Turnersville NJ
Is there a cheap construction that can close the door securely to the coop from outside of the run? Right now I climb into the run (in dress clothes) and secure the door with a bungee. I want to have less work and do better for my birds as well.

Right now the door lift up from the bottom. I have a hook on the left and right secured by a bungee. Need more security for them and make it less messy for me.

Ideas welcomed....

Hmm.
We use a door a got off an old house (Make sure there is no flaking paint) and secured it onto the front of the chicken house with hinges/bolts and got a latch. That way humans/chickens can easily access the coop and it keeps the chickens safe at night.

If you want a door that has some kind of pully system to close it you can probably purchase one. Or make yourself. But I don't have much experience with that. Maybe Youtube?

Here is the house before we added the run.

Attachments

• 20191104_191959.jpg
    20191104_191959.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 18
Here is the house before we added the run.
So you are trying to keep the door from opening upwards, right? It swings on hinges, I see, like the window to the right of the door.

I hate to be annoying, but if might help if we could see where that door is in relation to the run. I'm wondering if there's a way to run a longish board/dowel/broom handle or something like it from outside the run and across the front of the door to secure it - like thread it through something on either side of the door frame so that it prevents the door from opening. Kinda like this:
71Qjso5moPL._SX466_.jpg

I don't know if I'm making sense or if it's even feasible. Just trying to think of ways you might be able to block the door without getting in the run.

Are you talking about the pop door?

And wanting to open and close, then lock it closed at night...without entering the run?

Does it have hinges at the top?

A bit of hope and a pully could open it, and hold it open,if the rope end is stuck on a nail.

To lock it closed you could put 2 door handles on the door, and 2 door handles on the coop on each side of the door.....then slide a metal rod or bit of rebar through the handles.

Does it have hinges at the top?

A bit of hope and a pully could open it, and hold it open,if the rope end is stuck on a nail.

To lock it closed you could put 2 door handles on the door, and 2 door handles on the coop on each side of the door.....then slide a metal rod or bit of rebar through the handles.
That's exactly what I was thinking!
Was waiting to see pic of run, hopefully run wall is close enough to door to facilitate the rope and rod idea.....and pop door falls fully closed when dropped.

Back
Top Bottom