Wooden Eggs on Ebay

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pirtykitty, Sep 15, 2009.

1. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
  2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Sure! I myself use duck eggs that ive blown and filled with salt - that way if I have a nest raider they are as good as dead if they eat one of those eggs.

3. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I just used golf balls to put in my nest. Of course I dont have ducks, but it worked great with my chickens.

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Did you ever wonder where the term "nestegg" came from? that is the proper name for an egg like object left in the nest to encourage the use of the nest. I collect the 'old timey' ones and have many different materials and many different countries in my collection.

5. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I just use a golf ball or two. [​IMG]

Even (blue) colored ones with huge chucks missing because of the lawnmower work. [​IMG]

6. I found wooden eggs at the craft store, we have a Hobby Lobby and a Michael's around here. They were about a buck apiece. I think they help, although I also think just having a nest box can be appealing to a duck.
    This summer the ducks started laying later, after I let them out of their house in the mornings. I put straw in a plastic bin and set it on it's side with a wooden egg in it in their pen. You should of heard the hens when they saw it. They stood over it making all kinds of loud chuckeling and cackeling, reminded me of a bunch of Aunties cooing over a new baby neice!! For the next few days all the eggs were laid there, but then they all went into a molt.

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:I would love to see your collection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by