Wooden eggs (Price checking, I don't have any for sale yet)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by joerogrz, Jan 25, 2009.

1. joerogrz

joerogrz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Loretto, TN
    I am looking at turning nice, wooden eggs for decoration. The plan is to turn out a dozen eggs from 12 different kinds of wood. I also make little egg cups for these. These are all roughly the same size as chicken eggs and finished so that they have a nice satin sheen to them and are very smooth. Here are some pics of a few of them.
    (If you go in the chat room, you may have already seen these)

[​IMG]
    Dogwood in a Dogwood cup

[​IMG]
    Post Oak egg in a Pine cup stained with a Black Walnut husk.

[​IMG]
    Persimmon egg in a Mulberry cup

[​IMG]
    Mulberry egg in the same Mulberry cup

These I am making for someone else right now.

I also plan on doing segmented eggs, which will be more difficult being that they have at least two different woods in an arranged pattern. To give you an idea of what I mean by segmented eggs here are some bowls that are segmented. These are NOT my work.
    [​IMG]

It takes a little while to do these both the solid and segmented but more so the segmented. My question is, how much would you pay for these?

2. Moodene

Moodene Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Devers, Texas
    Between $10 to $15.00.. starting out with the plain eggs up to more fancier should be higher..depending on your wood and time..and the other pic ..now those should be in the higher price range from $25 and up depending on the designs if you get that good doing them..Look on the internet and compare prices of others to your products. Shipping should be seperate price added along with shipping insurance..you never know what the shipping people will do to those eggs...

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Wow, beautiful work, I like seeing the wood grain!

4. mtnmenagerie

mtnmenagerie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2007
    NE Alabama
    maybe another selling point of these would be for the wooden "starter" eggs that some people put in the nest to encourage hens to lay there.
    Of course, you wouldn't have to turn them out as pretty and finished and decorative. Sell them in dozen or half a dozen...

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/wooden_nest_eggs.html

just a thought [​IMG]

5. joerogrz

joerogrz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Loretto, TN
    Actually I already sold a dozen nest eggs to someone. Made them from maple but the next nest eggs I do will be Ash. I don't think the Ash will split like the green maple did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by