wooden eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeannine, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Jeannine

Jeannine Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2008
    Williamston, S.C.
    My Coop
    Does anybody know why wooden eggs are sometimes placed in roosting boxes? I've heard of it done, but don't know the reason why.[​IMG]

2. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    They are to help coax the hen into laying in the nesting boxes instead of wherever. I have successfully used golf balls for the same thing.

3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I use them to teach the new girls and encourage the old girls to lay in the nest boxes instead of on the floor. I use golf balls too.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  4. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I have used golf balls and it worked the first time with the pullet. Now they are over a year old and have not laid since end of August. I just put a real store bought egg in a nest box. Let's see if it works!

5. Jeannine

Jeannine Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2008
    Williamston, S.C.
    My Coop
    Thanks, I guess it's just a relocation thing. Thought it may induce some to actually start laying eggs (the ones that just want to hang out and mooch on the laying mash!) Wish there was an answer for that.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I think you mean nest boxes. Some use wooden eggs, some golf balls, others use plastic eggs and some of the ones who use plastic eggs, put sand in them and glue them together. Most people who use wooden/plastic eggs or golf balls, use them to show the girls where they are supposed to lay. I personally use golf balls and it has worked for me. Once, when they first started laying I found one egg on the ground under a bush in a dusting hole, but all of the rest in the nest boxes. I used to hide the gold balls in the nests, and when I went to collect the eggs the golf balls would be in the boxes with the eggs. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. hinky toes

hinky toes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    Bozeman, MT
    I've only used golf balls with almost 100% success (eggs laid in nest boxes vs. on the ground).

I also find that the balls seem to sooth the hens when I rob them of their hard work. They seem to treat them just like an egg, moving with their bill, sitting on them.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My hens prefer ping-pong balls over golf balls. [​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The girl in the nest box may not be the one doing all the squawking. Another may be making an announcement or telling the one in the nest box to "hurry up and get out" because she wants it. Some chicken parents use wooden eggs, some golf balls, others use plastic eggs and some who use plastic eggs, put sand in them and glue them together and put them in the nest boxes. Most people who use wooden/plastic eggs or golf balls, use them to show the girls where they are supposed to lay. I personally use golf balls and it has worked for me. Once, when they first started laying I found one egg on the ground under a bush in a dusting hole, but all of the rest in the nest boxes. I used to hide the golf balls in the nests, and when I went to collect the eggs the golf balls would be in the boxes with the eggs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by