Wooden Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by This_chicks_place, Jul 21, 2011.

1. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hi,
    We placed wooden eggs in the nest box 3 weeks ago, two days ago we got our first egg, with a second yesterday right in the nest where they belong! [​IMG] Now to my question. Should we remove the wooden eggs or leave them there so they don't start to peck on the real eggs??

2. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    I would leave them there for a bit... Just to reinforce the habit, especially if you are still waiting for other hens to start laying.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I still leave mine there - it doesn't hurt anything and I can laugh at my DH when he collects the eggs and the wooden ones too cuz he can't tell the difference!

4. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I used a golf ball and ended up leaving it there - my EE wouldn't part with it. She loved to use her beak to roll it beneath her and then sits on the nest for hours pretending to be doing something important.

5. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    I know someone else that uses golf balls and just leaves them there. Probably half of 2 dozen or so nest box have a golf ball in it.

6. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations on your first egg!!! [​IMG] I'm still waiting...[​IMG]

7. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    I still leave my golf ball in there and my older hens still lay accordingly. However they don't lay in the box with the ball. Why?!! Don't know. But I would leave it in there for reinforcement and encouragement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by