wooden feeder plans?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gale65, Jun 11, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

does anyone have any plans written up for a wooden feeder? I have some scraps from a rabbit hutch project and my little quart feeder isn't lasting long enough anymore. thanks!

2. Saltcreek

Saltcreek Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2011
    South Central Ohio
    30 years ago my father in law had 75 chickens and I thought I could economize by making a wooden feeder for outside. I now have my own chickens and will never make that mistake again. The wood eventually rots, holds moisture to cause mold, needs painting, can NEVER be properly disinfected and wears out from beaks and feet, but mostly rot and dirt. The plastic is very cheap, lasts forever, sanitary, and you will be ever thankfull for the labor it saves in the long run. Check Tractor Supply or any poultry catalog for various cheap sizes.

3. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    phew.. I came <---> this close to buying a wooden bird feeder today to use for feed. Glad I decided to wait!

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:thanks. I know a lot of people here have wooden ones. I wonder if they've had problems with them. My 2nd option is to make one from PVC and that wouldn't be much different than the ones from the store. I just want something that will save space and be easy to fill.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Did you decide on your wooden feeder yet? If so, would love to see it.

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

7. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Will see how long my wooden one last.

[​IMG]

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Will it be in the rain and other weather?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by