1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wooden incubator question PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by country11187, Jul 14, 2011.

1. country11187

country11187 New Egg

May 30, 2011
    DOVER DELAWARE
    I have a older wooden incubator with two sides an 2 trays on each side with eggs trays. It is about 2 half feet wide an 18 inches long. Each side has its own thermostat. The HUGE problem im having is the bottom tray is always 5 degrees cooler than the top. there is no fan on the incubator. ive had it pluged in for about 5 hours now an can not for the life of me get it right. also should u never place eggs under the light? I really think i need to just break down and buy a sportman....any opions i am willing to listen to all of them becasue i am out of ideas..thanks a bunch

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Without a fan there is no way you will ever equalize the temps, the air stratifies too much. As heat rises, the air above will always be warmer above unless you add a fan, which is what I would do if I were you. Not sure about the light placement, but that would also create a hot spot.

3. country11187

country11187 New Egg

May 30, 2011
    DOVER DELAWARE
    would i wire the fan to come on with the light or constantly run? thank you for all the help. i really like the way the incubator looks jus not sure its pratical its a american lincoln 2 door style.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I love my Sportsman!!!

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    OK, I can't find a picture of the incubator. Is the light bulb the source of heat? Whether it is or isn't, the answer is the same, the fan should run all the time, so should be wired separately or wired in before the thermostat.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Do you have a picture of your incubator? [​IMG]

7. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    You can always wire in a small fan from a computer case, they are small, quiet and can move air pretty well. Some even have a speed controller to adjust the speed of the air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by