Wooden Roosts

wheatnroses

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Can someone tell me what would be the best stuff to put on or coat my wooden roosts with??? I scrape off the roosts and sand them with a sander a couple of times a week to keep them as clean as I can but after 5 going on 6 years this is taking an awful toll on my roosts. I'm so afraid of giving bugs and illness a hand up so I work to keep things as clean as I can. I think I read ( here I think) about someone putting oil?? on there roosts. Did I dream that and if not what does that do exactly? what and how does it help? Is there anything else that might be better to preserve and protect the roosts as well as the girls??
fl.gif

Personally I don’t worry about it all that much. I feel they will be healthier and at less risk if they are exposed so they can develop immunities instead of trying to maintain a sterile environment. But that is just personal preference. Do as you wish.

You did not dream that about the oil. The old-timers would coat the bottom of the roosts with used motor oil. Roost mites live in nooks and crannies in the coop during the day and only come out at night. By coating the bottom half of the tree limbs used as roosts, they eliminated some of the hiding places for roost mites. That’s probably not allowed if you are “organic”.

Thank you for the advise with the oil, can you mix it with something that will be of any benefit for them??

Back
Top Bottom